Saturday, May 29, 2010

Sweet Pea Mom


It is true. I finally did it. I started a blog and a patio garden this month. It is turning into quite the spring season of new adventures.....

As to why I started a blog, well, we will save that for another day. As to why I started a garden, well, I thought it was about time. I love the feeling that one receives from fresh, beautiful, incredibly delicate, yet intricately obvious flowers. I also love the feeling of using vegetables and herbs that have been grown with love, tenderness, and care. All of these feelings got me thinking that I could do grow these flowers and vegetables myself....

Unfortunately, I may love the outdoors, but my 'green thumb' is not quite so green - it is more mustard colored. I have been afraid to grow...well....everything! What if I kill them? What if I do not get them to grow? What if I forget about them? What if they decide to be obstinate (if even possible) and not grow? What if I torture poor unsuspecting plants with my lack of a correct color thumb?Ugh ah blah.

Thus begins my gardening adventure and all the questions that ran through my mind on GardenDay #1. GD#1:I received some seeds from a friend. Sweet pea seeds in fact. I feel like I am in 1st grade for gardeners, which is hilarious because I am an ecology student and one would think plants wouldn't scare me, but they do! So I planted the sweet peas, as my friend directed (overnight the seeds in a paper towel in the fridge, then plant 1" deep in soil) and you should obtain this:

Two weeks went by and I got this:
Feeling of Gardener-First-Grade failure began to sink in. What if I planted them too deep? What if I planted them too shallow and birds at them? Did I water them too much or too little!?!?! And these were the questions running through my head on GardenDay#12.

GardenDay#15: As all hope was lost, I stepped out on my patio to find A SEEDLING!!! I did not, in fact, fail as a sweet pea mom!

GardenDay#25:
It is almost time to replant in a bigger pot, which I'm sure will incite more questions of gardener inadequacy - stay tuned.

Today as I smile and cheer on my little seedlings, I learned that the meanings associated with Sweet Pears are 'blissful pleasure, delicate pleasure, good-bye, and thank you for a lovely time.' I would like to think this is rather apt to my feelings of overjoy at graduating 'Gardener 1st Grade'. Good-bye 1st Grade, here I come Middle School. Next up: Sage ('wisdom/esteem').




No comments:

Post a Comment